I lost my mother when I was six years old. I found her as I sought to show her my Christmas present. My kids will never know their grandmother and I will never get to spend mothers day with her and how I miss her so. There was an internal struggle for me since losing my mother I blamed myself for her death and tried to commit suicide several times over her death. But God in is loving manner didn’t want me to be die over her death he wanted me to encourage someone else.
As I look at my children I will give them the love that I didn’t get from her for over 20 years of my life. Some may even ask how can you give love that you never received well…that is what this article is about through Christ I am able to impart the love of Christ which is greater than any love that my mother could have ever gave.
While it can be easy to slip into depression during mother’s day or like me and lock yourself away don’t lose your joy. Below are some tips that I learned along the way.
- Share the love-If you know someone who is also motherless or have no children of their own try visiting them, I will be going to visit a nursing home on mothers day. You can check out this website if you are in the NYC area http://www.hfny.org for volunteer opportunities.
- Know its not your fault-I used to say things like if only my mother was alive I could enjoy this day or God is punishing me for something that I have done. This is the voice of the adversary seeking to devour you. Satan will implant bad thoughts in your head for you to think negatively about yourself. It is not your fault and God is not trying to punish you. Every things happens according to God’s perfect plan for your life.
- You matter-Regardless of what others say your feelings are very important. It’s ok to be sad but its not ok to be depressed. Remember that God loves you very much and if he knew you couldn’t handle it then he would not allowed it to happen to you.Whether you are motherless of childless know you are here to inspire the world.
- Enjoy your own blessings-Even though I didn’t have a mother I realize that God blessed me with two beautiful children. You may not have a mother or a child for mothers day but you have nieces, nephews, grandparents, Godchildren to be blessed to have.
- Stay connected- I can’t tell you how comforting it is to know I am not the only one going through something. Join a support group for grief or chat group I myself am apart of a lot of support groups on Facebook. Sometimes not even your own family/friends will understand what you are going through so don’t limit yourself to just family and friends for a shoulder to cry on. I had a family member tell me that I needed to enroll in a psychiatric hospital and another tell me that I was just looking for attention.
Here are some scriptures that encouraged me.
Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed; for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you.
Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken
Isaiah 49:13 Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.